Feb 4, 2007

"Mind the gap"



Our first day in London was a total success. The city welcomed us with a sunny day and no rain. Actually, we haven't seen the rain all weekend! I'm afraid I won't be able to write this very often. Anyways, It was a sign of a good start.

Ted was not able to sleep well during the flight. I slept like a baby. Once we arrived to our hotel, we took a little nap to fight the jetlag. Even though I was able to sleep during the flight, I still found time for a little London "siesta."



After our power nap, we walked around our hotel and visited Trafalgar square. We had delicious Thai Food for dinner, and later on we met with Beth and Rino for drinks at a local pub. They are a couple of expats who have been very helpful during our transition to London. We asked them tons of questions which they so kindly responded with lots of good information.




Today, we purchased our "Oyster Cards" which give us unlimited access to the London Tube for one year. Once on the Tube, I finally heard the famous British version of "watch your step" hence, the title of this post. Our first stop? Islington. Outside of the station, we found of couple of guys with dreadlocks who were talking about Seinfield. So we decided to ask them for some advice about the area. They told us we were at the wrong place, so we went back to the train. After one stop, we arrived to the heart of Islington. It was a nice area: lots of shops, cafes, and quaint buildings. We had lunch at a Colombian restaurant called "La Piragua." My order? mini bandeja: Rice, beans, sweet plantains, salad, eggs, and pork. I felt I was at "Mi Pueblito."






Speaking of home, here is a picture of a church we visited this afternoon. It's called Hillsongs London. The main screen had a big welcoming message that said: Welcome Home! Maybe it's a message that every congregation has, but I would like to think it was specially directed to me.

No comments: